The Americans with Disabilities Act was passed in the US in 1990 and has been amended a couple of times as per the emerging needs. This act not only addresses online video captioning, but also protects the rights of people with disabilities when it comes to using websites, job training, employee discrimination, and so on.
Even though 70% of businesses have already made their digital presence accessible to the disabled communities, there are businesses which are still unaware of this law and the need to be compliant to ADA.
Vanan Captioning is a captioning company that abides by this law while captioning the video contents. In this article, we will talk about the fundamentals of ADA compliance, its benefits and several such facts.
Who needs to be ADA compliant?
With digitization now at its peak, several companies launched online video content such as marketing & advertising videos, films, series, documentaries, etc. These are launched on websites, social media, OTT platforms like Netflix and several other online platforms. These platforms are similar to a virtual spokesperson via whom companies can tell users what they are offering, who they are, and how they are different from others.
These companies need to follow certain rules while launching these online contents in order to meet the interest of the physically impaired individuals. The content must be made in such a way that there will be no discrimination against the people with disabilities.
It is mandatory for the below businesses to be ADA complaint:
- Any agency working under the local, state and federal government
- A company being listed as Pvt and has minimum 15 employees excluding the employer
- Any business whose mission and vision has been set for social issues and welfare of the communities
Why is it important for a business to be ADA compliant?
Now since you know what ADA compliance is and who needs to be compliant, it’s time to understand it’s importance for a business/company.
- There will be legal ramification to deal with due to being non-compliant with one of the most important laws.
- With ADA compliance, a business can target general audience without fearing any legal lawsuit.
- This law will help the businesses to ensure that their services or products are accessible to almost every group of users all over the world.
- It will increase the reach for the online content as more people will have access to it.
How to become ADA compliant?
To become ADA compliant, businesses need to outsource their captioning requirements to a professional captioning company that has the expertise in ADA compliance. With Vanan Captioning, you will be able to produce online videos and other content on your websites that can be easily accessible by disabled people that are autistic, dyslexic and having ADHD as well as hearing or speech impaired people, and so on.